Closing date: 15 Apr 2018
The MDC/IM Specialist position is for you:
- If you love supporting fellow humanitarians to best collect, use, analyze, visualize and disseminate their operational data.
- If you take pride in data quality and optimizing related procedures,
- If you are ready to go the extra mile to empower others in the field and in HQ to make full use of available data to take decisions.
- If working capacity building and skill transfer are important to you to make projects sustainable
- If you enjoy talking to your counterparts and help them to figure out the best tools and procedures for their given situation
- If you love traveling to the field
- If you love transferring your skills and giving trainings
- If you are interesting in participating in the shaping of a growing humanitarian to humanitarian NGO
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a H2H (Humanitarian to Humanitarian) non-profit organization that specializes in providing Information Management services (with a particular emphasis on Geographic Information Systems and Mobile Data Collection) to humanitarian and development organizations. We support NGOs and International Organizations by providing tools, services and capacity building so they can better plan, implement, monitor and evaluate their programs; in other words: so it improves humanitarian aid effectiveness towards vulnerable populations.
CartONG is a young and dynamic agile team, supporting our partners remotely as well as in the field. We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular disaster relief and humanitarian NGOs & UN agencies (current partners: Doctors without Borders, UNHCR, Agence Francaise de Développement, Terre des hommes: full list available here). We are committed to addressing our partners’ needs, be it setting up the full data chain or just aspects of it. We are also known to be tool agnostic, ready to support the best fit in a given operation, be it proprietary or open source or a hybrid approach in taking the best of both.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry – a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
Currently, CartONG is seeking a mature individual to reinforce its IM/MDC team for the implementation of technical Information Management projects (more specifically Mobile Data Collection and related Data Analysis) and related capacity building.
You are an information management specialist with a strong technical as well as humanitarian background and experience in implementing small to medium size projects.
You will implement many of our smaller to medium sized projects, i.e. plan, devise, design and implement as well as support technical solutions or information management processes, either alone (supported by a Project Manager) or within a team of technical people, depending on its nature, skill set required and size.
Minimum of 4 years of working experience, out of which 2 in the humanitarian sector.
- Contract Type: Employee fixed-term contract of 6 months (to be extended by mutual consent).
- Start Date: ASAP.
- Workstation: at CartONG HQ (preferably) or in the region.
- Salary range: 2000 to 2600 euros (brut) per month for 39hrs/week, depending on experience and status.
III. Tasks & Duties
In this context, your assignments are:
- Devising suitable technical solutions and related information management implementation processes based on partner requirement
- Implementing Projects in Mobile Data Collection and Information Management
- Working technically in core area of expertise, conducting tech watch and maintaining quality of products and services on projects where you are the lead IM specialist
- Conducting field missions upon request (trainings, project implementation)
- Working closely with CartONG staff and Management team, upholding CartONG’s mission statement and its values.
- Documenting solutions and procedures, updating training material and step by step tutorials, writing blog posts
You will have to regularly deploy for short (1 to 4 weeks maximum, generally 2 weeks) field missions as well as trainings in Europe (25% to 50% of your time).
Whilst regular visits to the office in Chambéry are necessary and encouraged (minimum 4 times/year), the position can also be based from remote outside of deployments, if internet connection and communication tools are set up to enable easy exchanges (preferred option is however based in Chambéry).
The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent to the context of humanitarian organizations.
For the following experience is required for the position:
- Strong experience in implementing IM and/or MDC projects technically (evaluating the needs, setting up tools, methodologies and procedures, planning and managing the associated capacity building…)
- Good knowledge and relevant experience in the humanitarian sector
- Experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts
V. Technical Skills
- Mobile Data Collection: ODK environment, experience with different MDC solutions
- Data Analysis and Visualization tools, Business Intelligence Tools (such as Qlik, Tableau, Power Bi…)
A strong asset
- Experience in using Kobo, Ona, SurveyCTO, or Aggregate
- Experience with data interoperability and related procedures/tools like Talend, FME
- Knowledge of statistical packages like SPSS, STATA or similar
- Knowledge on database architecture and database handling like MS Access, MySQL, NoSQL databases (MongoDB, etc.)
- Coding skills on languages like VBA
- Knowledge of harvesting and using data through APIs
VI. Soft Skills
- Work style: You are well organized and proactive, even within a multi-task working environment, and have a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills. You are autonomous, liking working independently and collaboratively.
- Communication Skills: You are able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of CartONG. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Adaptability: You are able to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. You are able to work and live with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Integrity: You demonstrate awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. You work with trustworthiness and integrity and have a clear commitment to core values and humanitarian principles.
- People Skills: You are able to support and train local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner. You have strong relational capacities allowing you to interact with other services of the organization (technical, communication, management …)
- Language skills: A very good written and oral communication in English.
A strong asset
- Strong interest in new technologies/ICT
- A very good written and oral communication in French.
- Experience and interest in Project Management
How to apply:
Applications to be submitted via online form: http://cartong.org/content/application-form
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.
Applications are open until recruitment.
Please note we are also looking for a Consultant specialized in MDC & IM: http://cartong.org/MDC-IM-specialist-consultant