Closing date: 19 Jun 2018
This position is for you :
- If you enjoy managing GIS projects
- If you thrive in a dynamic and ever-changing environment
- If you have a sharp understanding of user’s needs
- If you enjoy solving problems
- If you enjoy working within a team and managing people
- If you are passionate about new technologies, GIS, databases, etc.
- If you like testing and innovating
- If you have a keen interest for working in the humanitarian sector
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized in disaster response and development as well as UN agencies (MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc. ; complete list here). CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 20 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry – a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a Senior GIS Project Manager having management, communication and coordination skills as well as extended technical experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS), WebGIS and database management, to join our team.
- Contract Type: fixed term contract, 12 months (renewable)
- Start Date: ASAP
- Workstation: Chambéry (France)
- Salary: 2600 to 3200 euros brut for 39h/week, depending on experience
- Other advantages: Additional health coverage at 50% + Monthly bus pass at 50%
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, you will be in charge of leading both people and technology. You will manage multiple GIS & mapping projects from start to finish, including strategic planning, team supervision, and handling the communication with the external partners, upholding CartONG’s value and work ethic.
In this context, your assignments are:
- Strategy: guide the partners’ and CartONG’s GIS Strategies and define technical development priorities, ensuring that they are in line and consistent.
- Business relationships: analyzing and clarifying user requirements on BI or GIS products, communicating on technical solutions in easy terms for non-technical people.
- Project management: define project timeline, permanently follow up with the partner, set up quality control and scale up system and supervise reporting (inc. administrative).
- Team management: coordinate staffs working on multiple projects, inc. supervision, meetings organization, human resources and problems solving.
- Technical supervision (depending on skills): oversee the data & server architecture; be the focal point for remote sensing, satellite imagery and drones; technology watch on future developments of GIS & BI.
You will travel regularly to partners’ HQ (Geneva) and go periodically for short field missions. The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work, rush situation).
Qualification: Master’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent in GIS, Geography or Computer Science.
Experience: 5-10 years with min. 3 year in GIS project management.
Professional Skills & Knowledge
- Management of projects having a strong IT component
- Awareness of IT/GIS industry and business environment to understand risks and enable innovation and growth
- Knowledge of quality assurance/release readiness processes
- Knowledge of Agile methods and iterative development
- Interest for the humanitarian mission and understanding of humanitarian work environment
- Excellent overall understanding of GIS solutions (mapping, web-mapping & web applications, servers & database management, etc.)
- Knowhow of database tuning and ETL processes as well as data interoperability
- Knowledge of the following tools & platforms:
- ESRI Product suite, QGIS Suite
- SQL and NoSQL data stores, PostgreSQL/GIS
- Experience with DBMS technology such as SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, and Access
- Mobile Data collection tools: Collector for ArcGIS, ODK
- Aerial Imagery : Remote sensing, drone, machine learning
- – Fluency in English and French a requirement
- Strong capacity to manage expectations and to deliver
- Ability to manage and coordinate numerous stakeholders, including people not under one’s supervision
- Confirmed leadership skills & capacity to convince, team player
- Outstanding analysis and synthesis skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills inc. presenting technical stakes to a broad audience
- Quick understanding of user’s needs and enjoying problem solving
- Autonomous and very well organized
- Quality and results oriented
- Flexible, pro-active, sense of urgency and capacity to prioritize
How to apply:
Applications to be submitted via online form by June 19th 2018: http://cartong.org/content/application-form
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.