Organization: Groupe Energies Renouvelables, Environnement et Solidarités
Closing date: 30 Jun 2018
Created in 1976, GERES – Group for the Environment, Renewable Energies and Solidarities – is a non-profit organization, whose actions aim to improve the living conditions of the poorest populations by implementing projects that reduce energy poverty, preserve the environment and limit climate change and its consequences. The association deploys development engineering and specific technical expertise in partnership with communities and local stakeholders. GERES places its priorities in those of the 2030 Agenda and in particular SDGs 7 and 13, on universal access to energy and the fight against climate change, as well as in the Sustainable Energy for All initiative (SE4All). Today, 200 employees lead more than 50 innovative sustainable development projects in Africa, Asia and Europe-Mediterranean.
GEX (GERES expertise) aims to consolidate and develop transversal expertise within GERES, support its regions in their activities and disseminate GERES’ know-how to other organizations. Its team is spread over several locations and, depending on the opportunities and constraints of activity, can intervene in all countries of the globe.
Context of the position
Supporting the development of rural and urban areas in developing countries requires working on several dimensions. Among these, access to energy plays a key role, because without energy, no development is possible, and because energy is an essential gateway to accompany the transformation of the economy. Considering the environmental constraints, but also the understanding that resources are not in unlimited quantity, the development of access to energy in the South cannot be done following the model developed since the 1st Industrial Revolution, that is to consume always more and cheaper, without worries of the consequences. The future must be taken into account now, so that today’s successes will not lead to setbacks tomorrow. This is what is at stake with energy transition.
GERES works in the long term on access to energy and the energy transition, in order to achieve SDG7 on universal access to energy. It does so by developing pilot projects and promoting scaling up and replication. GERES also supports local or national actors to step into the dynamic of the energy transition and to understand these issues, based on an in-depth knowledge of their territories.
The mission of the technical expert is to develop, articulate, facilitate and popularize these topics internally. Externally, she/he acts as the focal point with the technical and advocacy networks in which GERES takes an active part.
Under the authority of GEX director, in agreement with the regions concerned and the head office, the expert leads the development of the thematic “Access to Energy” and “Energy Transition” (A2E / ET) and takes part in the development of GEX activity. She / he participates in internal and external expertise missions and activities. His/her responsibilities are:
1. Lead/Take part in internal/external expertise missions
· Answer to project / mission opportunities (technical, financial, administrative), with the support of the admin & finance department, and follow up on proposals until completion;
· Lead or take part in internal / external expertise missions, incl. management of missions, team members, deliverables and associated references;
· Regularly update activity and impact monitoring tools.
2. Lead the development of the thematic « Access to Energy » and « Energy Transition »
In coordination with technical referents on the field,
· Be the internal and external focal point for A2E/TE thematic;
· Propose a GEX watch and development strategy on A2E/TE thematic
· Support regional managers in defining and implementing their strategies;
· Under specific mandate given by regions or HQ, ensure internal monitoring and follow-up of project activities on A2E/TE thematic;
· Knowledge management and knowledge sharing on A2E/TE thematic.
3. Take part in developing GEX activity
· Take part in coordination and strategic works of GEX;
· Welcome and support new team members on A2E/TE thematic;
· According to the needs, lead or take part in collective interest works.
· Education : Engineering Degree, specialized in energy / renewables
· Experience : minimum 5 years on Access to Energy and/or Energy Transition, with at least 2 years in developing countries, with significant field experience. Demonstrated experience in project / consulting services design and management and in fundraising (grants, consulting contracts…)
· Languages, IT : fluent French & English. Basic IT package + knowledge of technical softwares.
· Thematic skills and knowledge : Detailed knowledge of energy issues in developing countries, in particular rural energy and/or productive energy and/or energy planning ; understanding of other topics covered by GEX (climate, territorial approaches, private sector development) ; understanding of A2E/ET institutional landscape in developing countries.
· Practical skills : Project/study methodology development and implementation ; production of content: training, advocacy, popularization ; project management (operation and finance) ; technical and institutional representation.
· Capabilities : Efficient and rigorous time management ; ability to work under pressure and in autonomy ; adaptability to changing and sometimes austere working contexts.
· Desirable qualities : Ease in human relation, to guide teams and partners in technical topics, talent to popularize complex issues related to access to A2E/ET. Conviction and commitment.
· Permanent contract
· Full time position 35h/week, Executive position
· Starting date : june 2018
· Salary : according to profile, experience and GERES salary grid
· Food allowance (covered 60% by GERES), compulsory medical insurance (covered 50% by GERES), bus/train transport subscription (covered 50% by GERES)
· Position based in GERES office in Aubagne ; maximum 40% of working time abroad (Africa, Asia, including less stables countries such as Mali)
· A General Security Policy ensures GERES’ teams security in countries where GERES operates. The person holding this position will have to respect and apply this policy during professional movements.
How to apply:
Please apply on line http://job.geres.eu/?action=ref&id=35 sending your CV (3 pages maximum) and cover letter.